About Me

My photo
La Masica, Atlantida, Honduras
I'm a missionary serving the Lord in Honduras. I originally moved to here in the summer of 2008 until 2011. After a year away I'm back at Proyecto Alcance aka - Reach Out Orphanage. This is a journal of my life and views here in Honduras.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Where are the days going?

Where are the days going?
16 September 2008

Another busy week has pasted and it’s already almost half way into this week. Last week was really busy with kids’ days on last Wednesday. Kids’ day is like mothers’ day or fathers’ day. We had lots of games and candy. We had to celebrate over a few days b/c of having to worry not just about the kids in the orphanage, but also the kids in our school and in the colony. I spend that evening with the kids and families in our colony in San Juan Pueblo. They had three piñatas and the kids went CRAZY when they burst with candy. Kids in America are mild compared to the way these kids reacted. There were even parents jumping over chairs to get to the pile to get candy. After the celebration I hung out in a couple homes and watched Honduras beat up on Jamaica. And when I drove home, back to La Masica, I realized how passionate these people are about their football (soccer). When I got to the highway I realized I was in the middle of huge celebration parade. And when I got out of San Juan Pueblo, I thought it was over until I made to the first corner and realized I had caught up to a line of about 25 cars. All of them had the hazard lights on, flags flying, people hanging out of cars and yelling. We traveled on the highway from SJP to La Masica and a whopping speed of 30 mph. Every little town we pasted through, people were along the road screaming and yelling in celebration. I, of course, joined the celebration. I turned on my hazards and rolled down the window and laid on the horn. Our parade turned down the main road into La Masica and went up and down almost every road in town. I stayed on the main road and went back to the house. But I could hear the whole town going crazy. From what I hear, it was the first time Honduras has ever beat Jamaica at home.

This past weekend was a celebration for Independence Day. Independence was actually yesterday, 15 Sept. They had parades Sunday and Monday, and they are so slow moving. I was cool to see them, but they were a bit boring. I did get to see some of the parade in SJP yesterday and that was entertaining. Because of the holiday, we don’t have any school all week. So I hoping the week don’t go by too slow. Tomorrow I get to bus a soccer team of 16 yr old boys to La Ceiba for a game, so that should be fun.

No comments: