About Me

My photo
La Masica, Atlantida, Honduras
I'm a missionary serving the Lord in Honduras. I originally moved to here in the summer of 2008 until 2011. After a year away I'm back at Proyecto Alcance aka - Reach Out Orphanage. This is a journal of my life and views here in Honduras.

Monday, September 21, 2009

Tarea

I've been back in Honduras for a little over a month, after spending 7 weeks back in the states. Just after arriving in the states, I received a summons to serve on jury duty. Fun, fun, fun.... But I'm back now and enjoying my time more than ever. Since returning I've concentrated more of my free time with the kids. I've taken the responsibility to make sure the kids get their homework done each day and help them also. It's not the easiest job since my Spanish is still limited but my vocabulary is growing each day. It's been a test of patience that I have to say, I don't pass everyday. Helping the kids study exam during exam week, I resorted to locking them in the church each afternoon until they finished their study guides. It was the only way to get them in one location and forcing them to study. Of course, they didn't want to study, and they fought with me, tried to play games, but by the end of each day, most of them finished their study guides. Usually one or two of 14 wouldn't finish. I've learned during this time that the more time I spend with them, helping them, the more reluctant they are listen to me when I tell them to do some thing. I've learned that I'm not good at playing Jax. The kids play everyday, even if they only have rocks to use as Jax. Their hands are so quick, but mine are so slow. Even just watching tv or playing tag in the evening, makes me life easier when I need them to do something. It's not a walk in the park, but it's a blessing each day. Sometimes I think the kids think all I know how to say is, "got any homework?" or "finished with your homework yet?" They're all kids and always want to play.... that I completely understand. But I'm trying to teach them discipline and want to see them all succeed in life. Homework.... every kids least favorite word.

No comments: