About Me

My photo
La Masica, Atlantida, Honduras
I'm a missionary serving the Lord in Honduras. I originally moved to here in the summer of 2008 until 2011. After a year away I'm back at Proyecto Alcance aka - Reach Out Orphanage. This is a journal of my life and views here in Honduras.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Unrest in Honduras

I live eight hours from Tegucigalpa, the capital of Honduras and the location of the Brazilian embassy. The epicenter of this huge headache that Honduras is suffering from. La Masica is small town, yes we have out share of crimes, drug & gang violence, but it's not the city. There's not a worry of demonstrations or protests here. But with Zelaya back in Honduras, tensions are high. Life would be more normal if it wasn't for this nationwide curfew. The curfew started at 4 pm, Monday and is in affect until atleast 6 pm, Wednesday. That's 50 hrs of everyone having to stay home or atleast off the streets. That means, people can't to work. The factories, schools, food distributors, buses are all closed.... even the airports and borders are closed. If the government doesn't lift this nationwide curfew, then this country is going to see some real problems.

Before Monday, life in Honduras seemed normal. The price of food had dropped, rice was more affordable to the poor, which is most of this country. In the last two with Zelaya in office, at least 15 Venezuelan drug planes have crashed in Honduras, with him gone, none have been seen. The presidential candidates, chosen last Nov., well before the government power change, were busy campaigning against each other, not having to fight just to have an election. Like they did while Zelaya was still in office. People were living life before Monday.

But now, everyone has to stay home. This evening I walked into the center of town to get a bite to eat and noticed that the shelves, in the pulperia where I bought my drink, were half empty. I realized the stores weren't receiving their delivers. After one day of curfew the shelves were half full, what are they going to look like after two days. The fear I have, is the stores running out of food and the people starting to go hungry, if this curfew isn't ended. And when the people start to go hungry, the real violence will break out. And that scares me.

I pray the leaders of this country are God fearing and look up to Him for guidance. If a peaceful solution is not found soon, than crisis cold really lose control. I understand trying to minimize demonstrations and protests in the city, but let the rest of the country breath a little bit. Rice & beans aren't a problem for me to eat, but how long until the supply can't meet the demand of the country.

May God bless us all!

2 comments:

Tommy McNeeley said...

Hey Tim hope you are okay. Sounds like life is getting a little rough. Make sure you keep the embassy's number on hand if things go south. Request the RSOs office if possible and let them know whats happening. 011-504-236-9320 or 011-504-238-5114

Help With Dissertation said...

Very interesting discussion glad that I came across such informative post. Keep up the good work friend. Glad to be part of your net community.